The Musicians Intensive will offer a select group of invited participants a chance to explore new frontiers of music-making, based on Bang on a Can’s ground-breaking approach.
If selected, you will work with some of the most innovative musicians of our time. These are musicians who have dedicated their lives to performing music beyond the cutting edge.
- Submission deadline: Tuesday, Dec 13
- Program dates: Thu, Feb 2, 6 to 10pm. Fri & Sat, Feb 3 & 4, 9am to 6pm
- Click here to apply
Bang on a Can (BOAC) is dedicated to making music new. Since its first Marathon concert in 1987, Bang on a Can has been creating an international community dedicated to innovative music, wherever it is found. With adventurous programs, it commissions new composers, performs, presents, and records new work, develops new audiences, and educates the musicians of the future. Bang on a Can is building a world in which powerful new musical ideas flow freely across all genres and borders.
Learn more about Bang on a Can
In conjunction with their residency at The Arts Center at NYU Abu Dhabi, comprising of a concert by Bang on a Can All-Stars and a performance of their collaboration with Siti Company on the music theater piece Steel Hammer, the BOAC All-Stars will lead a weekend intensive training program for invited musicians from the region. It will offer a select group of invited participants a chance to explore new frontiers of music-making, based on BOAC’s ground-breaking, boundary-expanding approach. The BOAC All-Stars faculty are some of the most innovative musicians of our time. These are musicians who have dedicated their lives to commissioning, rehearsing, recording and performing music beyond the cutting edge.
In the words of a few past student – “Bang on a Can is really everything I want the music world to be; inclusive, engaging, innovative, fun, thought-provoking, beautiful, challenging, and rewarding. The festival brings all of that and more directly into focus, and it has made all the difference in the word to have been a part of it.”
Who is the Musicians Intensive for?
There are no stipulations for specific instruments or styles. By definition, Bang on a Can is dedicated to adventurous contemporary music which defies definitions, and includes influences from contemporary classical/new music, experimental electronic, jazz, rock, and world music. See the selection criteria below.
- Professional and pre-professional level musicians above the age of 17 with a minimum of 4-5 years experience with their instrument. Exceptions to age and experience are sometimes granted.
- Have a high level of competence in music practice and knowledge.
- Have appropriate musical, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Have an openness to new modes of music-making.
- Are able to cope with the learning and assessment demands of the training.
- Can commit to the full 2 ½ day Intensive.
If this describes your approach to music click here to apply
More about the Musicians Intensive
Participants will be expected to commit 2 ½ days to their experience. Beginning with attendance at the BOAC All-Stars’ concert opening at The Red Theater at The Arts Center on Thursday, Feb 2, 6pm to 10pm. Followed by two full-days of panels, workshops and conversations with the All-Stars on Friday and Saturday, Feb 3 & 4, 9am to 6pm.
This is a fellowship provided to selected participants at no cost. A limited number of scholarships to support the travel and accommodation for regional participants from outside the Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Al Ain, and the UAE will be available.
Note, however, that due to the limited nature of this opportunity, invited participants will be asked to secure their place through a $50 deposit which will be fully refunded following participation in the Intensive.
- Submission Deadline: Tuesday, Dec 13
- Program Dates: Thu to Sat, Feb 2 to 4, 2017
- Thursday, Feb 2, 6 to 10pm
- Friday, Feb 3, 9am to 6pm
- Saturday, Feb 4, 9am to 6pm
The online Application requires the following information:
- Applicant Full information
- Cover letter introducing yourself and your musical experience (e.g.: why are you applying to the program? Are you collaborating with a band or an independent musician, Are you working on the project? Do you intend to produce a show?
- Artist statement: please describe your musical creative approach
- Online links of your previous works (YouTube, Website, recording..etc.)
The training will be held at the Arts Center at NYU Abu Dhabi
All applicants are required to bring their instruments and equipment to training.
The training will be free of charge but to ensure commitment, accepted applicants will be expected to pay a refundable amount of $50 upon being invited. This amount will be fully refunded once the program has been completed.
Applicants from the region
A limited number of scholarships to support the travel and accommodation for regional participants from outside the Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Al Ain, and the UAE will be available. This will cover transportation, accommodation and meals.
To apply click here
Good luck, we look forward to hearing from you.
⁃ Your friends at The Arts Center