Photos by Henry Wamai
Aleya Kassam by Henry Wamai
Anne Moraa by Henry Wamai
Laura Ekumbo by Henry Wamai
Mercy Mutisya by Henry Wamai
Mūmbi Kaigwa by Henry Wamai
Sitawa Namwalie by Henry Wamai
Artistic Director and Creator: Christine Jones. Made by Many.
Theatre For One: We Are Here (Nairobi Edition)
World Premiere - Commissioned by The Arts CenterPast Event
A personal theatrical experience – One on one, a short play unfolds for you.
Founded by New York based artistic director Christine Jones.
See the world premiere of 6 new Kenyan plays in this tri-national collaboration bringing together theater makers from Kenya, the UAE, and the USA.
The Nairobi edition of Theatre For One features 6 female writers/performers from Kenya whose works question the liminal space between ancestry and civilization, the real and the surreal, the inner being, and our external existence. How do we show up bare and vulnerable in these times while carrying the energy of the other within us?
Take part in a live digital theatrical experience that brings together one actor and one audience member to experience one of six new micro-plays. Theatre For One elevates a vibrant chorus of voices and creates deeply personal works that resonate in this shared moment.
Theatre for One: We Are Here was commissioned for Theatre for One (Christine Jones, Artistic Director) by The Arts Center at NYU Abu Dhabi and produced by Octopus Theatricals, with support from the Nairobi Musical Theatre Initiative and Rainmaker Limited.
Discover more about the show here.
Watch the trailer
For each ticket booked, you will be invited to experience one of the following performances, selected at random:
- The Interview: written and performed by Aleya Kassam | Directed by: Esther Kamba, Associate Director: SRĐA
- The Living Ghost: written and performed by Mercy Mutisya | Directed by: Kholoud Sawaf, Associate Director: Nyokabi Macharia
- Aging: written and performed by Laura Ekumbo | Directed by: SRĐA, Associate Director: Esther Kamba
- The Beanie: written and performed by Mūmbi Kaigwa (documentary theatre) | Directed by: SRĐA, Associate Director: Nyokabi Macharia
- Killer Cop Lives Fast Life: written and performed by Sitawa Namwalie | Directed by: Kholoud Sawaf, Associate Director: Nyokabi Macharia
- Cucu: written and performed by Anne Moraa | Directed by: Nyokabi Macharia, mentored by Kholoud Sawaf and SRĐA, Associate Director: Esther Kamba
Meet the artists
Note: Due to adult content this show is recommended for audiences 18 years and older.
Content of micro-plays range from rating of PG to R, based on language and references to sexual violence and domestic abuse. The specific play to be watched is determined by chance and is generated randomly when joining the show.
This is a past event
- Due to mature content this show is recommended for audiences 18 years and older.
- Content of micro plays range from rating of PG to R, based on language and references to sexual violence and domestic abuse. The specific play to be watched is determined by chance.
- This performance is completely online. You will need a computer with a working camera and mic. Google Chrome is highly recommended.
- Performing artists and writers:
- Sitawa Namwalie
- Anne Moraa
- Mercy Mutisya
- Laura Ekumbo
- Aleya Kassam
- Mūmbi Kaigwa
- Kholoud Sawaf
- Associate Directors:
- Nyokabi Macharia
- Esther Kamba
For Theatre For One:
- Artistic Director and Creator: Christine Jones
- Resident Director: SRĐA
- Platform Programming and Design: OpenEndedGroup – Marc Downie and Paul Kaiser
- Produced by Octopus Theatricals – Mara Isaacs, Executive/Creative Producer
- Production Supervisor: Bryan Hunt
- Technical Consultants: Cherie B. Tay and Saori Yokoo
- Business Manager: Michael Francis
For We Are Here (Nairobi edition):
- Creative Producer: Karishma Bhagani
- Production Stage Manager: Henry Wamai
- Marketing Associate (Kenya): Vikash Pattni
- Production Assistant: Sarah Mutegi
- Commissioned for Theatre for One (Christine Jones, Artistic Director) by The Arts Center at NYU Abu Dhabi and produced by Octopus Theatricals with additional support from the Nairobi Musical Theatre Initiative and Rainmaker Limited.